Sunday, August 2, 2015

Self-Esteem

Self-esteem is an oddity of all proportions.
Mine didn't arise from starving myself years ago, nor over-exercising and restricting my diet.
It didn't arise from comparing myself to other people, or trying to obtain what was impossible.
It didn't arise from taking several pictures of myself, and going through each one, nitpicking every feature I hated about myself.
And it most certainly didn't arise from all the self-hatred I brooded upon, thinking it would be my motivation to lose weight.
All any of that did was make me feel awful about myself, and hurt others in the process.
Actual self-esteem came from acceptance of my imperfections - that they can most certainly be improved, but never perfected.
It came from being okay with not achieving the highest standards of beauty, and wearing make-up/exercising/wearing shorts for me, and not for other people. I do these things now because they make me feel good.
It's also amusing how well self-esteem can do for your appearance. Without as much stress, my acne has cleared up tenfold. It still persists from time to time, but on a much smaller scale than before. I sleep better at night, not worrying about my appearance, and the bags under my eyes have all but shrunk. I am happier on the inside, and it shows on the outside.
For once, I'm actually happy with who I am. And it feels better than starving or harming myself ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment